The other night I was trying to calm Caroline down and I put her in bed to tell her a story. It went something like this....
Once upon a time in a far away land there was a princess named Caroline. She was a beautiful princess and had the most beautiful yellow dress. When it touched the sun it lit up like thousands of diamonds. If you were lucky and touched it with your finger at the right time, the diamonds would rub off on your finger and sparkle like the dress. One day she took a walk through a garden and met her prince. He was a very handsome prince with dark wavy hair and the deepest dimples in both cheeks.(The prince part was her request). Together they danced for hours until the sun went down. When it was time to go home, the prince bowed and bid her farewell. Caroline had such a wonderful time and looked forward to the time they would dance again.
"NO MOM!!! You forgot the kissing part."
"What?" I asked her. "You're too young to kiss."
"You have to have the kissing part."
"Why?"
"Because I like it."
... So the prince leaned down and kissed her on the cheek
"No Mom... on the lips."
"You're too young to kiss on the lips. Only on the cheek."
What the heck?!! No wonder so many of us women have these built up expectations of romance. It's embedded in our brains from the moment we watch our first Disney movie. Thanks Disney* for letting so many of us down. Not only us girls with prince-like expectations, but the poor guys who have to try and achieve PCS-Prince Charming Status. We should make before and afters... realistic before and afters where Cinderella and Prince Charming are up all night with kids, sleeping in different beds with different kids, cleaning up poop and throw up and too exhausted to even contemplate a romantic waltz or ride off on a horse into the sunset because the sunset is usually during an out of control tantrum or even worse... dinner time!
However, I did get my prince and my dance. :)
(See 2 posts down)
*(I know Disney didn't write the stories, but they made the movies we watch because for a girl, it's what we aspire to be right? The princess!)
Friday, March 6, 2009
Now I get it
Posted by Michelle C at 7:23 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



6 comments:
Such a cute story, girls are very different than boys. You are making me nervous, I should probally start planning my "story" now. I've gotten this far in parenting (with boys) to never have to come up with a romantic story....ohh, the pressure.
I better not have many girls because there's no way I can make up stores like that!
i did read this! i commented on coops post about it, i said cute story! i cant believe im only a year away from conversations just like this!! AAAAHHHHHH!
Too funny girls are waiting for their prince charming and guys are looking for their sports illustrated swimsuit models.
Hey, don't be dissin' on my Disney. You just have to see it in the proper light. Of course my Prince won't be in tights and whisk me off on a horse- who would want that?! I don't even like wearing tights and I want my own horse. But, it's the idea, and I love Disney for it.
PS I didn't get any sound on the video b/c I'm at work, but I think that's so stinkin cute
I love hearing all the adorable things the kids say. Really good to catch up with your blog - been awhile.
Post a Comment