Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Traumatic!

We took Elizabeth to the orthodontist the other day to see what course of action we had ahead of us. Unfortunately she got my mouth (crowding ). She won't get braces for a few years, until she's like 12 or 13, but he said she needed to have a few teeth pulled to make room for the adult teeth coming in. Brian told her he would do it and I was really surprised at how okay she was with it. She told me, "I'm going to go to Daddy's office after school on Monday and get my teeth pulled." I was waiting for the screaming and yelling, but it didn't happen. When I told Brian he told me he had said to her she could pick out whatever treat she wanted when they were done.


 Well, so after school we all went to his office. It's closed on Mondays so it was just us. As soon as she got in the chair she started getting nervous. Brian gave her some gas which didn't sit well with her, so he turned it off and tried getting her numb with the q-tips first. She was even nervous about that. After a few minutes he tried to put the needle in and she 'bout hit the ceiling. Without going into major detail, 45 minutes later she finally got the shot and didn't even feel it. I started crying once she got it because she was so nervous and I kept telling her to look in my eyes and I could see her fear and so once she was done I was able to let down a little. I was so proud of her because I know it was scary for her and she finally did it. Brian said he wasn't going to let her leave without doing it because then she'd always be afraid and might not even get back in the chair again. He even gave himself a shot to show her that it didn't hurt. That's a loving father!

Once it was all done she was mostly upset about her lip being numb. She did NOT like that. By then we were done being nice and calm and told her to suck it up. Just kidding, we didn't, but we wanted to. We ran by the store and I was off getting the groceries while Brian took her to the candy aisle to get her treat. When they showed up she was carrying a nearly 3 pound bag of Hershey Kisses. I said, "is that what she's getting?! What is it.... like $9.00?". I was thinking more along the line of a candy bar or bag of Skittles. He asked her, "can we get the smaller bag?" (as if she'd say yes) , but then he turned to me and said, "I told her she could get whatever she wanted, plus she saved us a lot of money by letting me do it and not getting her knocked out at a Pediatric Dentist." So I said, "next time we might want to be a little more specific." Anyway, we were all glad to have that done!






3 comments:

Caroline said...

That's my girl- y'all are some of the most patient people I know. I look up to you so much in that regard (and others). Dare I say- y'all are too legit? Stellar, I think I will. Wicked awesome baby.

Mel said...

What a cute dad to give himself a shot. While explaining why she had teeth pulled Will chimed in, "Yeah, like Mater. He had huge teeth in his mouth." Funny

Suzy Q said...

Loved that post - especially the big bag of kisses...