Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Just about me!

As many of you know, I've been struggling with losing weight for oh, like 4 years! I've had many things that have kept me from losing weight, mostly my own issues. I've had "a new day" a number of times and it just hasn't stuck for very long. I'd say "okay, I'm going to go without candy or sweets for a week." I make it a day and say to myself, "I guess I can do it, I just don't want to." So then I quit. I would think I had the self control to do it and fooled myself into thinking that if I could make it a day, I could make it as long as I wanted to.
Last winter we signed up at a gym and it was good. Brian said I could get a personal trainer and  that was great too. I worked out so hard and didn't see any real results on the scale. My trainer worked with my food and said I was doing everything right, but just wasn't losing. I was so frustrated. I was spending almost 2 hours a day at the gym. I had one week where it went well and I lost 3 pounds, but shortly after that we were in the process of moving and I couldn't keep up with it.
We moved up to Logan and lost our membership because they didn't have a gym up here. I also started feeling guilty about taking the kids to the daycare there for that long every day. I was starting to think this was just the way it was going to be for the next 4 years 'til my kids were in school and I could work out then. It was very frustrating. I hated waking up and putting on the same clothes that I packed away last year saying that I would for sure be out of them by this year. I hated, well, so many things. I hated the way I looked and the way I felt about how I looked.
Two weeks ago I started the South Beach Diet. I've done Weight Watchers and it's a great program, but I just didn't want to have to think about it. This diet took the thinking out of it. It also took out pretty much all the good things, but I didn't want to think about it, and this sounded easy enough. Surprisingly it was pretty easy. We went down to my parents house 2 days after I started it. The last timewe went down there I gained 3 pounds and just barely lost it, after 3 weeks. My Mom, being the great Mom and Grandma she is, made 2 different kinds of cookies for everyone to enjoy and had candy in various dishes around the house. I didn't even take one bite. Even at night when we were sitting around the table playing games and there was a plate full of cookies, I wasn't even tempted. I couldn't believe it. The next day we got pizza and I so wanted a bite, but I didn't. Again, couldn't believe my strength. There have been so many times in these two weeks that normally I would have taken a bite here or a little bit there and I didn't. I'm so freakin' proud of myself!!! Even through everyone in my house eating candy from Halloween. Not a bite here!
So it's been 2 weeks. I'm down 8 pounds and feel like I'm finally in control of myself. Brian told me I could buy an elliptical, so we did on Monday. Now I can work out at home when the kids are in bed, or in the morning before everyone wakes up and not feel guilty that I should be home with the family. I feel like there's light at the end of a tunnel that was so long I never thought I'd make it out of. Eight down, 22 to go!

7 comments:

Lisa said...

8!!!!!!!!!!!!!pounds!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW!!! That's great! We were all impressed with how good you're being !!! Keep it going!! Maybe I'll get going myself!!

Carleton & Robyn said...

Wow! You look amazing!! As far as working out with kids, I don't think you ever have to feel guilty for working out-even if they're being babysat. I think we teach our girls that mothers are important-or goals, our health. I want Annie to know that she has value as a mom. I workout twice a day and I think it sends a great message that our bodies and minds are important. Good for you! You really do look beautiful.

lisa said...

Wow--that's awesome Michelle! You have some great willpower! I've always thought you looked great! I agree, it's hard to find time to work out with little kids. I want to go back to the gym after the baby comes but we all know how that goes!! Congrats again!!!

Caroline said...

First off- love the new background and fam picture- really stylish. And second- you have always been a sexy momma, but I am so proud of your strength and accomplishments thus far- Iknow there are many more to come. Keep it up Shell, you're awesome
ps and I can't believe you got an elliptical and didn't tell me!

Alicia H said...

I am so PROUD of you! Good job! Keep up the good work! I need to jump on some kind of band wagon as well. Working out is good here...just the diet that needs HELP! AARRGH! Good Job Chell! You are a great example to me (cheese) :~)

Mel said...

Very cute picture! Jealous of the machine! Someday. Oh..and you should NEVER feel guilty for doing something like working out. It's for the betterment of you=better for your family! Love you! Good job!

Jill and Paul said...

youre amazing! watching you not eat any cookies while i at 15 was SOOOOO impressive. you've made me consider low-carbing it again! gorgeous picture!