Thursday, May 28, 2009

Memorial Weekend

We had a pretty good Memorial Weekend. It started off Friday afternoon going to the park with our friends the Price's. This is Elizabeth and Hannah. They were the best of friends while we were in Lehi. They are always so excited to see eachother. It was fun to be outside in the sunshine and visiting with Tami. She's such a positive person all the time. Too much effort for me. :)



After the park, we ran home and packed up our tent and sleeping bags and such and headed over to my parents for a BBQ. Nonnie was leaving the next morning and so they had a birthday party for all her great-grankids and she gave them cards and gifts. They loved it of course. Each kid got a balloon and their own cookie with a candle on it. It was cute. The food was great. Dad was in charge of grilling the steaks. He was totally freaking out because he didn't want to burn them and wasn't exactly sure how to do them to everyone's liking. Turned out great for me!





After things calmed down and it had gotten dark, we had the Porter's version of a drive in movie. I don't know when it started, I want to say some time in HS, but it might have been after that. My Dad sets up the TV right outside the french doors in the back of the house and we set up blankets and watch it in the back yard. So we did that. We watched Hairspray. It was fun.

Before the movie was over, we headed into the tent for some good old backyard camping. My kind of camping! Well, not really. I do love being in the mountains, but it's a lot easier doing it this way. Isa slept in the house in her bed and that made it easier. The kids all had a turn waking up, but overall, not a bad night. It's always fun to sleep in a tent.


The next morning we woke up and headed to the pool. We haven't been swimming in a long long time. It was fun though. They had a slide inside so we did that a few times. Aunt Caroline came too and watched the kiddos while Brian and I went down a few times. Fun times.






The actual Memorial Day was lame. We've we decided where we're going, but for security purposes, if you want to know, email us. I'm a little freaked out about disclosing too much info. Anyway, we were looking for housing and it was a pain. Since they changed the rules on mortgages, we can't get one for another 6 months, so we're renting. Well between the local newspaper and the sites on the internet, there were about 12 homes listed and only about 5 with enough bedrooms for our family. So I thought maybe if we drove around the neighborhoods that there might be some signs up. Nope. Not one, well actually, one. So after 6 hours of driving around we gave up and went home. I thought this was so cute of Isa. She was so good in the car. She had like a 30 min nap and barely fussed at all the whole time. We ended the night at McDonald's. YUCK!!! I don't plan on eating there again if I can avoid it at all. I don't mind eating a bite of the kiddos cheese burgers, but other than that I just feel nasty when I'm done eating.
Brian has Tuesday's off, so we made another attempt and found a place to live in for the next year. 5 bedrooms, a huge room over the garage, fenced in yard (yay!), playhouse in the back. Should be good. The only thing I'm worried about is that it's an older area. Not very many kids. I'm sad about that, but it should be good for building family relationships I guess. Overall, a pretty good Memorial Day weekend.

3 comments:

Doré said...

Sounds like a fun weekend! Love all the family pictures. It must be fun to get together at your parents house. You will have to email me and give me the details about where you guys are going etc.

Mel said...

All I have to say is "nice boosums!" You look great. I'm glad they had fun. I just love getting together. Some day, we can all go camping, as long as we have a ton of land to spread out so we don't hear each other's kids!

Sarah said...

You're killing me. I mean, clearly I know where it's not - but I want details. copy me on the e-mail you send to Dore if you don't want to tell the same story a million times. The camping looked like a lot of fun - especially with the "drive in movie." good times!