Well I guess it's been over a week since the drama so I better update it.
So there I was..... it was middle of the night best as I could guess. I need to roll over to get more comfortable, yet as I tried, I was paralyzed with pain in the base of my neck and unable to make the desired position change. I laid there in the dark with only Charlotte to reach to for help. Obviously that wasn't going to get me very far. Brian had slipped out in the night to sleep with another woman, or little girl.... Isabelle. She called for him in the night and he quickly ran to her side which left me alone, or as mentioned before, with one little one at my side. My eyes started to adjust to the light and I barely lifted my head enough to see the clock read 5:00. As I pondered my situation, all kinds of thoughts ran through my head-
" Maybe I have cancer in my neck and am going to die?"
" I can't get out of the bed, what if Brian has to call an ambulance to get me on a stretcher and to the hospital?"
" What if it's a herniated disk and I am paralyzed to a wheel chair for the rest of my life? Will my kids take care of me?"
I started tiring of the drama I was creating for myself and started making a plan. I figured if I took some Ibuprofen I'd be able to let it kick in, get out of bed and still make our trip down to Salt Lake, so I did what any strong woman would do.... I yelled for Brian, in a quiet manner of course, as to not waken the children. That would have only made matters worse. I tried again.... no response. I tried again, this time I gave him a little more time to wake up and realize that yes, I was indeed yelling to him in the middle of the night. Finally, I gave up and beat on the wall. Okay, it wasn't a beat, more like a desperate rapping as best as I could since raising my arm also caused me great pain. At last, he awoke and came to my call. I explained the dire situation and asked him what I should do.
Of course he had no idea. I'm sure he didn't even really know what was going on, so I asked him to get me some drugs, some heavy Ibuprofen. I took it and eagerly awaited a great change which I was sure was going to happen and yet, as 40 minutes passed, my situation remained the same. Now at a complete loss as to what to do, I called on Brian to help me up. A few failed attempts due to pain I then realized he would have to hold my head for me and I would try again. This was not an easy task. As I walked, he was walking backwards holding my head up for me. Deciding it was a bad idea, I got back in the bed and waited until the morning chaos subsided and then we tried to figure out what to do. I knew it wasn't a muscle issue from sleeping on it bad, it was a pain I had never felt before. We called a chiropractor and he wasn't in and then we were trying to figure out the best decision financially. Chiropractor's aren't covered, but then going to a doctor and getting xrays and whatnot add up and we have to hit our deductible first, so it wasn't a toss up and we decided to try the instacare.
A neighbor was nice enough to offer to watch all our kids while we went in. I had to hold my head while we walked in there and I'm sure people were thinking that was pretty funny looking. It was.... I saw it. So we met with the doctor, he gave me a shot which I figured wasn't going to do anything since it was basically just a large dose of Ibuprofen and that hadn't worked yet. Then they wanted to get xrays. The gal was having me do all kinds of angles and then she wanted one where I tipped my head backwards and I told her that was going to be pretty hard to do since that's what caused the most pain. I did it once and she said we had to do it again and after that second time I got this immediate rush that I was going to throw up. I told her and she grabbed a trash can. Then I thought I was going to fall over. I was so dizzy and hot and as I was sitting there I just got so weak and nearly fell over. They were starting to get a little worried and so Brian just lifted me up and put me on the table because they were afraid I was going to fall over. Of course all of this was killing my neck. They got me on the table, called in the doctor and then all of the sudden, aside from being extremely hot, my hands started getting really stiff and tightening in contorted positions. I was telling them and having them pull my fingers apart to try and relieve the tightness. Then my chin and throat started getting tight and I was starting to freak out that maybe I wasn't going to be able to breathe. The doctor was at a loss at what was going on, so they called an ambulance and rushed me over to the hospital. I was freaking out 'cause the doctor didn't know what was going on, so then my thoughts of dying were flooding in again with no calming words from him. Idiot. And let me just say that an ambulance ride is so uncomfortable!!! Well, for someone with neck pain or if they had anything broken. It was so rough and bumpy. I would have rather Brian took me in his car! So already long story shortened, I got to the hospital and they were concerned about my heart rate. It was around 39 BPM for about an hour, so I had an EKG and some blood work done and they finally just gave me some medicine to get it pumping faster. It didn't work on round one, but after round 2 it did. I was nervous about having it wondering if I was going to have some sort of other reaction. After several hours there was still nothing done about my neck. They figure I had something called a vasovagal attack happen when I tilted my head back. They were thinking it was most likely a pinched nerve although it didn't have all the signs of one, but that was the best they could do without an MRI or CAT scan, so we left no better off and actually worse off from all the expenses we just incurred. OH well. All is good for the most part. I'm feeling better and Brian was great doing everything for 4 days and letting me recover. So now we just have all the wonderful bills to look forward to!
Tuesday, March 22, 2011
Drama
Posted by Michelle C at 3:41 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



5 comments:
im glad you are ok! Crazy story!
that really scared me. i'm glad you're back to being supermom, or supercrazymom which ever you feel. love you.
So awful! So sorry!! I hope you are feeling better.
That's crazy! I am glad you are doing okay now.
What? That is crazy!!
Post a Comment