I feel like I've used that title a few times too many. But we did. We made it to PA.... barely. Truly! I should start at the beginning. A very good place to start. :) So Brian ditched out on us on September 27th. He drove himself out to PA to start his new job while the rest of us stayed behind to wait for the house to sell or rent. I was dreading being a single Mom. I could only image the worst, but it actually wasn't bad at all. The kids were surprisingly well behaved, we got along well, the went to bed like good children and I had a few hours at the end of the day to do whatever I wanted. We may have been unorganized in getting homework done, but I actually kept up pretty well on the house because I knew I could get a phone call at any minute saying someone wanted to come look at the house and that is the worst when the house is a mess, that and I didn't want to take out my stress of that on the kids. I wish I could keep the house that clean when Bri is around. I try, but for some reason it doesn't work as well. So the house had been under contract (sale) until about a week before Brian left. We weren't surprised it fell through. The couple was really a pain in the butt! We had a hard time deciding when the rest of the family should go out if nothing happened with the home, but we stuck with our plan and kept our moving truck and long story short, things worked out getting the home rented and moving on the original date. It wasn't without some frustration and uncertainty, but it all worked out. I know my strength was due to many who were praying HARD for me! I know I couldn't have done it without all the prayers. I had much more patience and was a lot more calm with the kids than normal. It was a nice feeling while it lasted. JK. Getting the house all packed up and cleaned was NOT easy! There was a lot more to it than I was remembering, even though it was only 1 year ago. We did it in shifts then, so it was hard to really remember how much stuff we had. I had lots of help from my family and amazing ward members. There were people cleaning everything in my home and helping with kids. Of course, when I was in the last 2 days of it all, 2 of my kids got pink eye. I swear my kids get sick every time we move. I truly had angels helping me get everything done. Bri didn't come out until it was all done, and he's my work horse, so a lot of help was needed to get it all done.
The truck showed up with not enough space, so they had to send a second truck, which didn't show up until about 11:00 at night. We ended up having to sleeping at a neighbor's house because our expectations of them being done were completely off from the actual time they took. Thank goodness for my neighbor Sue, who let us sleep at her home, watched my kids, took some to the movies, picked up prescriptions and rounded up the women who came and helped get my house clean. So glad to have been surrounded by wonderful people who would sacrifice time, money and energy to serve my family. I hope to be aware of situations where I can bless others lives as mine was.
UPDATED:
I've had this post in draft for like 3 weeks. There were so many things to add and no great pictures, so I've dreaded putting it up, but I have to move on with my life. :) So here's the bullet list run down:
* moved into house without anything. Borrowed kitchen stuff, clothes, air mattresses, blankets, etc.
* had issues getting kids into school since all documents were on the truck, but finally did and they both LOVE it. Yay.
* quite a bit behind in the school curriculum from our Utah school. So far, just Liz is in a math tutor class after school, but I think they may start Caroline. Grateful for that though to help them get caught up.
* car transmission blew up, no lie, as we pulled in the driveway of our new place. Only went about a week without a car. Went from SUV to van, but it's a lot easier with all the kids and it's a great car. Thanks to Bri's parents for helping us with that!
*Had a leak in the ceiling about 2 days after we moved in. Not a major big deal, but annoying.
* Have an awesome landlord/neighbor who not only supplied us with tons of blankets, soap, sheets, towels and such until our stuff came in, but replaced the new carpet he put in the dining area with laminate to our request because of our children and they're not so clean eating habits. Truthfully though, I spilled on it too.
* Great neighbors who are so kind and welcoming.
* Walking distance to the library which was a saver on the days with no car.
* Reoccuring pink eye at least 4 times
* Lots of time with Bri's family. The kids love playing with all of them.
There are just a few of the things I can think of off hand. All in all though, we are doing well and the kids have adjusted beautifully. It's a bummer we move in when it's winter and can't get to know the neighbors, but we'll have time for that in the spring I guess.
Tuesday, December 6, 2011
We made it
Posted by Michelle C at 8:33 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



4 comments:
Thanks for updating :) Love y'all and miss you. Wish we could be there--or better yet wish you could be back here. But we're happy that you're happy and everything has worked out. Love y'all
Wow, looking back there was a lot you went through! We are so happy you are here and that things are getting better.
I'm glad you posted- I've been wondering how things are going for you guys! Sounds like quite the moving adventure, but I'm glad things have settled for you!
glad you made it! Moving is always tough, but hopefully you will get to stay in one place now! Cant wait to see pictures of the new place.
Post a Comment